Sunday, July 12, 2015

In Courage

It takes courage to write.

Real writing peels back the layers, exposing our thoughts, our hearts, and sometimes our very souls.

So that is why I have called this blog "In Couraging for Teachers".  Yes, I know that "couraging" is a made-up word.  But I like it.  I see mustering up the courage to write is a verb.  I like the play on the words "in courage" and "encourage".  This new blog--after nearly 14,000 hits on my old one--is borne of courage. 

In courage I think, share, and hope that others will listen deeply and attempt to understand--and maybe even reciprocate with thoughtful, kind comments--or, as Cheryl Strayed calls it, "Unconditional Positive Regard" in which you can separate your own judgment from me as a writer and human--allowing us to disagree, if need be, while continuing to hold each other in positive regard.

In courage I hope that words from an open heart that loves teaching, children, my fellow teachers, and public schools can still make a difference.

In courage I believe that others will honor my ideas, even if they disagree with them.

In courage I am overcoming fear that has been taught to me by those who would use their disagreement to diminish the life--the very existence--of another. 
 
In courage... I am... someone who is striving to become...

...a better teacher, an enlightened human being, and a person who lives authentically.

I don't expect you to "obey my wishes."  Heck, I don't even assume I'm right.  This is just a venue for putting thoughts on paper to explore thinking--in courage. 

In courage, please encourage me, dear reader, as I will you.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment